Traditional Irish Cottage Pie
Try cottage pie the healthy way with this new recipe.
One serving contains 0.9g of your daily requirement of 1.5-3g of plant stanols.
- 15g Benecol Olive Spread
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 200g carrots, diced
- 350g lean minced beef
- 150g brown or green lentils
- 300ml beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 800g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 40g Benecol Buttery Taste Spread
- steamed green vegetables to serve
01. Melt the Benecol Olive Spread in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the carrots and celery, cooking for about 2 minutes. Add the beef, breaking up any large lumps and cook for 3-4 minutes over a high heat until sealed.
02. Stir in the lentils, stock and herbs, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
03. Meanwhile cook the potatoes in a large pan of water for 10-15 minutes until soft. Drain well and mash with the Benecol Buttery Taste Spread. Heat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200ºC/fan oven 180ºC.
04. Spoon the meat mixture into a 1½ litre ovenproof dish and top with the mash. Fork the surface, place on a baking tray and cook for 30 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with steamed green vegetables